Summary of steps:
- Step 1: Validate: user = administrator. The user and the computer name must be different.
- Step 2: Validate the “Windows Service Pack” version
- Step 3: Validate the Windows updates
First, verify if you are an administrator of the workstation in question.
- Press and hold down the “Windows” key and press the “C” key at the same time.
- Next, click on “Settings” then “Control Panel”.
- Once in the “Control Panel” window (illustration below), click on “User account and protection”.
- In the “User account and protection” window, click on “User accounts”.
- Here you can see if you are the Administrator, as illustrated here.
Verify that your user name is different than that of the computer. For example, the user name cannot be “Server” if the computer’s name is “Server”.
- Start by double-clicking on the small vertical arrow in the top left-hand corner in the “User accounts” window you were in previously.
- You will be brought back to the “Control Panel”.
- Click on “System and Security” (as indicated above) and then on “System” (as indicated below).
- You will then be brought to the “General System Information” window.
- As indicated in the image below, the computer’s name is “gemcar-garage”.
- Since you noted in the previous step (when verifying the Administrator account) that the user name is “V2V Technologies”, everything is correct.
Also note the type of operating system, either 32 bits or 64 bits. In this case, you have a 32-bit operating systems (despite having a 64-bit processor).
All you have left now is to update Windows 8.
- To do this, click on “Windows Update” in the bottom left-hand corner of the “General System Information” Windows.
- Once in the “Windows Update” window, you will see if any updates are available. In the case illustrated below, yes there is one.
- Click on “Install updates”.
- The updates will be installed.
- You will then probably have to restart your computer.
After restarting the computer, your system will activate the updates and you will be ready to install GEM-CAR.