- Go to the inventory window (via the PDV or via the Inventory menu).
- Click on the search magnifying glass to the right of the category field.
- Create a new “PART” category type.
- Do not select the inventory follow-up option.
Note: All items in this category will now be added to the PDV with the color green. When you select it and click on the icon to open the inventory, the product will not be there.
FOR THOSE who simply have a part history that is too large, you can just purge the products that you no longer use!
To export a report to another format:
- Preview a report on screen.
- Click on the small envelope icon in the top left corner.
- Select the format to export.
- Click on the “OK” button.
- Go to "Inventory Management" / "Physical inventory entry"
- From the Inventory Sub-Menu, click on Physical Inventory Entry,
- In the Physical Inventory Entry window, enter the date of the inventory count,
- Select the inventory location
- Note that the inventory will only be updated for items that are in that location only
- Select an item and the details will appear at the bottom of the window,
- Enter the Section (optional), it can be a specific area in that location, such as R1-S10 (Row 1, Shelf 10),
- Enter the physical quantity,
- Enter the initials or name of person that counted the inventory,
- Repeat the last four steps for all other items,
- Click SAVE and EXIT, or change location to update other inventory locations and repeat the aforementioned steps.
Barcode printer configuration
- Install your label printer’s drivers.
- E.g.: DYMO 450 TURBO (70 labels/minute)
- Go to the “Configuration” / “Local Configuration” menu.
- Select the option “Box labels”.
- In the printer’s scroll-down menu, choose: DYMO LABELWRITER 450,
- Save with the diskette icon at the bottom right (not the one in the grid).
How to print the item’s barcode label
- Go to the item (inventory) list window.
- Right click on the barcode label icon (located at the bottom of the window).
- Specify the number of labels and your label will print out.
What information is included on the label?
- Product code.
- Price (it is the law to include this on the label).
- Your logo.
What label format should be used?
- The printer must have 1.25” x 3.5” label rolls
- The 3.5” is essential.
- The 1.25” to 1.5” can vary in width.
- You can use the vehicle’s serial number as the product code and print out a label with the serial number in barcode format to replace a damaged or hard-to-read VIN label.
- If you do not want to use a special printer, you can print your labels using AVERY paper. see FAQ
- How to find a barcode reader that is compatible with GEM-CAR. see FAQ
A - Transferring or importing customers from Simply Accounting :
- Open your Simply Accounting program
- From the top menu bar, select Reports
- From the Reports scroll down menu, select Lists
- From the Lists options, select Customers
- From the Customer List Options window, select “ALL” and click OK,
- In the File menu, select Export,
- In the Import Selection window, select the file to export.
IMPORTANT; Make sure in the Type field, that you have selected a .csv file extention,
Export the file to your Desktop,
- From your desktop, open the .csv file,
- Remove the first lines (rows) and make sure the first row are only column headers,
- Rename the headers properly (Ex: one column for each of the following; Customer number, customer name, address, city, Province/State, Zip/Postal code, telephone, car make, model, year, VIN, mileage, etc.)
- Save the file as an Excel format and follow the following (81b) steps.
B - Import or transfer customers from an Excel file :
- Prepare your Excel file with all the information columns you want/have to import (Ex: one column for each of the following; Customer number, customer name, address, city, Province/State, Zip/Postal code, telephone, car make, model, year, VIN, mileage, etc.),
- IMPORTANT; a customer number column is mandatory. If you do not have one, use the 7 digits of his/her phone number, but without a dash or area code. (Ex 6753456, not 675-3456),
- Once your Excel file is complete, Save and close it. (You will not be able to import the information if your Excel file is open.)
- Go to "Customer Management" / "Customer importation"
- From the Customers sub-menu, click on Import clients
- Click on the spy glass bellow the field "Excel file"
- Find your file and double click on it
- From the scroll down menu, select the proper spreadsheet,
- Check the Box next to The first line is a header,
- Match each Excel Column on the right to the appropriate GEM-CAR column on the left,
- When complete, click on the large green arrow button to begin the transfer,
- Exit when done.