You can import customer lists in GEM-CAR from other applications such as popular accounting software. To do so, follow the steps in the subsections below.
1. Export the customer list
Export the customer list from the application in CSV or Excel format and save it on your desktop.
2. Prepare the customer list for importation
To prepare the customer list for importation, open it from your desktop with Excel, remove any header or row before the column headings, and organize the list sorting it with the following columns.
- Customer number
- Customer name
- Postal/Zip code
- Car make
The Customer number column is mandatory. If it is missing, the importation will fail.
Then, save the file in CSV format. With previous versions of Excel, CSV lists were limited to 50,000 rows, but since Excel 2010, it can handle 500,000 rows.
3. Import the customer list
Follow the instructions below to import the customer list into GEM-CAR.
- Make sure the CSV file has been saved and closed. If it's still open, the importation will fail.
- In the GEM-CAR 14 main menu, go to Customer management > Customer importation.
- In the Import clients window, select Import clients using the Import mode drop-down menu.
- Select The first line is(are) header(s).
- Select CSV file.
- Enter a comma (,) in the CSV file delimiter field.
- Select the Magnifying glass next to the Excel file field to retrieve the CSV file on your desktop .
- Once the file is selected, in the Linking Columns to Fields section, match each row of the GEM-CAR Column with the Excel Column using the drop-down menus.
- Select Start import.