What is GEM-SCAN?
GEM-SCAN is our new module integrated to GEM-CAR for scanning VIN codes and barcodes from any device equipped with a camera running Windows 10.
GEM-SCAN needs the Microsoft .NET component installed on the computer. It can be downloaded and installed from there
- It supports all major barcode technologies, including VIN's, QR codes, Codes 39 and more.
- It works in remote-desktop mode.
- It is available in multiple languages.
- It is available in light or dark themes.
- It works with any computer or tablet with a camera running Windows 10.
- It supports front and rear cameras.
Video example : GEM-SCAN, scanning a VIN code.
- In the GEM-CAR Main menu, go to Configuration > General information.
- Search for and activate Option 117 in the list of the Options section.
- When the GEM-SCAN interface is open, click on the Settings (gear) button.
- Turning the Auto close application after valid scan on or off will change the behavior of GEM-SCAN. If turned on, it will automatically close the interface when a barcode is scanned successfully.
- Turning the Auto detect barcode switch on or off also changes the behavior of GEM-SCAN. When turned on, GEM-SCAN auto-detects barcodes and scan them. However, when turned off, you have to hit the confirmation button to scan.
- You also have the option to switch between languages and a light or dark theme.
Once GEM-SCAN has been activated, a barcode button will appear in the top right corner of the Punch clock, Point of Sale and Inventory windows. It is compatible with GEM-CLOUD.
Follow the steps below to use GEM-SCAN. Since GEM-CAR version 13.0.1, steps 2 to 4 can be automated in GEM-SCAN settings.
- From the Punch clock, Point of Sale or Product / Job code management window, click on the barcode button.
- The GEM-SCAN window will appear. Point on a VIN or a barcode with the camera and take a picture.
- GEM-SCAN will scan the picture and read any VIN or barcode and copy it to the clipboard.
- Close the GEM-SCAN window.
- Back in the Punch clock, Point of Sale or Product / Job code management window, paste the information in the appropriate field.
Tips and troubleshooting
The following tips may help you use GEM-SCAN.
- Approach the camera to the barcode as much as possible to zoom without cutting it.
- Don't move while taking the picture.
- Wait until the autofocus of the camera shows a clear picture before taking shots.
- If the automatic scan does not work, try taking the picture manually.
GEM-SCAN will not work properly if:
- the barcode is dirty;
- the barcode is not black on a white background;
- the barcode is on a metal plate and not black and white; and/or
- the image is not clear.