You can import a price list in GEM-CAR without adding its items in your inventory. This can be useful to have access to item prices for occasional use without inflating your inventory and burdening your system. You can import a price list of up to 500,000 items. To do so, follow the steps in the next sections below.
Prepare the price list
To prepare the price list in a file compatible with GEM-CAR, using Excel, organize the list sorting it with the following columns.
- Line code
- Product #
- Price 1
- Price 2
- Cost $
Then, save the file in CSV format. With previous versions of Excel, CSV lists were limited to 50,000 rows, but since Excel 2010, it can handle the 500,000 rows supported by GEM-CAR.
Enable or disable the price list
To enable or disable the price list of GEM-CAR, enable or disable option 14 in the GEM-CAR General information settings. When enabling the price list, GEM-CAR will ask you if you wish to save changes and import a price list. Answering no will simply enable the price list functionalities and, if a price list has already been imported, it will use this list. Answering yes will open the Price list importation window from which you can import a new price list or update an existing one.
Import a new price list
When the price list is ready for importation, follow the steps below to integrate it to GEM-CAR.
- Enable the price list in the GEM-CAR settings and answer Yes to open the Price list importation window.
- In the Importation parameter section, select Price list importation using the Import mode drop-down menu.
- Check the The first line is(are) header(s) box.
- Check the CSV file box.
- Enter a comma (,) in the CSV file delimiter field.
- Retrieve the CSV file by clicking on the magnifying glass button adjacent to the Excel file field.
- Once the file has been selected, in the Linking Columns to Fields section, match each row of the GEM-CAR Column with the Excel Column using the drop-down menus.
- Click on the Start import button.
Update the price list
If a price list has already been imported in GEM-CAR and you wish to update it using a new CSV file, following the procedure of the Import a new price list section will add new items that are not already on the list and will ignore existing items.
If you want to completely update the list, including already existing items, or overwrite the existing list, follow steps 1 to 8 of the procedure of the Import a new price list section and check the Update existing entries before clicking on the Start import button.